PSHE education gives pupils the knowledge, skills, and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe and to prepare them for life and work in modern Britain.
PSHE staffing and delivery of lessons
PSHE is taught explicitly as part of a planned, sequenced and spiral curriculum to all year groups. It is delivered by trained tutors in year 7 and by a trained designated team in years 8-11. PSHE also features in the whole school assembly programme.
Our PSHE programme includes a varied range of teaching methods and interactive activities, including; group and class discussion, online programs, student led research, students develop understanding of key concepts through regular quizzes and specialist workshops.
We provide a spiral curriculum that introduces students to key concepts in an age -appropriate way. We build on these key concepts and adapt substantive knowledge to match student age and need.
PSHE at KCC continues to develop beyond the taught curriculum in the following ways:
- Supporting and training our thriving Mental Health Ambassador sixth form group
- Providing support and training for our KS3 and KS4 Anti- bullying ambassadors
- Providing a well-being space at lunchtimes for all students
- Being part of the RRS steering group – modelling how a student led PSHE curriculum works in practice
- Providing enrichment and leadership opportunities for sixth form students to take an active role in supporting PSHE lessons in lower school
- The PSHE and assembly programme are dovetailed to ensure that there is a cohesive link between the PSHE termly focus, awareness days and assemblies.
- The PSHE team support the LBGTQIA+ group as part of our commitment to promoting equality, diversity and respectful relationships.
- The PSHE team work with the KCC journalism team to feature articles linked to the PSHE curriculum and awareness days
All Year Groups will cover the following:
CORE THEME 1- Health and Wellbeing
CORE THEME 2- Relationships
CORE THEME 3- Living in the Wider World
An overview of PHSE across the curriculum is available here
RSE at KCC
Relationships and Sex Education is taught as part of our PSHE provision.
Please click here to read our full RSE policy.